Skip to main content

BY 30 YOU SHOULD HAVE...


"I'm just not where I thought I would be by now."

Happy June ya'll! This is the month that I look forward to each year. It's the beginning of summer, there's usually a vacation planned and most importantly, IT'S MY BIRTHDAY MONTH!

I've never been the type to stress about my age or where I was in life according to a specific timeline. I just always thought those things would fall into place and take care of themselves. Early 20's Brit favorite line was "I ain't in no rush". Why would I be? Everything seemed to be going according to plan. I went to college, I graduated, I got a job in my field (ended up hating it), I moved back home, moved to LA (just like I said I would). That plan fell through, I'm like it's cool, I'm only 26. 
Year 26


Bounced back, moved to back to Chicago at 27, got a job, quit that job, got another job. 
Year 27


By this time I'm 28 and I'm like "Damn, I'm getting close!" It wasn't until this time that the 30 anxiety slowly started to set in. I realized, the things I that I thought were going to fall into place by now, hadn't.
Year 28


I'm supposed to be a working actress, getting ready to purchase my first home, debt free and aw hell, let's throw a husband in there. I mean, I expected to at least know who wanted to marry and start a life with. At least have a crush on somebody, damn.

I started to look at people around me become homeowners, get multiple degrees, get engaged, start families, become financially stable, travel all the time and it made me feel like I had fallen behind somewhere along my journey. But that's the thing, it's MY journey. You can't base your life off of anyone else's timeline but your own.

When you look back at your life and start to compare it to how other people's have panned out. Think about the plan you made for yours. At the beginning of each year, I write out a list of goals. Between planning to buy a car, move to LA, start my own brand, move back to Chicago, and try to be famous... I really don't see how I could have afforded a wedding, to raise a child, another degree and spontaneous trips around the globe.

To all my 30 and up, bout to be 30', 20 somethings stressing about 30, or people that just needed to hear this today, the moral of the story is: You are exactly where you're supposed to be. Who said 30 is too old too old to go back to school? What's wrong with being a stay at home mom with a business? Don't let nobody make you feel bad for stacking money instead of traveling. And don't let nobody make you feel bad for traveling the world while you don't have any responsibilities. The only timeline that matters is your own. Some things will be out of your control and that's okay. Move at your own pace.

Almost 30!

I know I am, hell. Ya'll aint finna rush me.

See ya'll next month! And have a GREAT June 24th! (Yes, that's a holiday.)

-BRIT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PUT YOUR PHONE DOWN

"I need a break." I have to say, I have been finding the internet to be exceptionally entertaining and funny lately. I'm always cracking up at someone's Instagram post, a meme on Facebook, or some random footage from Twitter. But then, there's the negativity, which is extremely draining. Y'all, I don't care how bad things get in my life, please, please, please, don't let me get on the internet arguing with people that don't have a profile picture and misspelling stuff trying to send a subliminal message to my man. Just... take my phone... okay? Photo: Stephen Nitz When I broke up with my last boyfriend, which was in the year 1802, I purposely took a short break from social media. I was upset and when I'm upset, like most folk, I have a tendency to make that apparent. I'd found myself clapping back at someone on social media once before and I was like "Britney girl, what you doin'? Ain't that why you got a blog?&quo

BRIT AIN`T JUST FUNNY

"So are you scared to kiss?" Guys, I`m the most awkward actress when it comes to love scenes. I know what you're thinking. "You're a comedic actress, why are you doing love scenes?", the answer is, because I`m sexy and desirable and dudes want to kiss me on camera. No seriously, I do a lot more than comedy. Making people laugh just happens to be one of my strong points. I am always open to more serious roles and I can do a pretty good job, if I say so myself! I've played everything from an old lady, to an old man, to a sexy new girl on the job (that was back when I could still fit them Abercrombie jeans). Oh my gosh y'all, let me tell you about the first time I had to kiss a guy on stage. First of all, I had a crush on him to begin with. My teacher grouped us together on purpose and gave us a scene as husband and wife. Our first day of rehearsal he asks me, "So are you scared to kiss?" In the back of my head I'm like "Yeah, we

SIMON SAYS: CHILL OUT

"I'm just not feeling it right now." Lately, I've had a lack of creativity. I usually feel like I'm bursting with so many ideas that I can't write them down fast enough. I don't know if it's writer's block, I'm uninspired or maybe I'm just so relaxed from the hot girl summer, that I'm not motivated to do anything but take pictures with a lil bit of cleavage showing so that somebody's son can slide into my DM's for cuffing season. Photo: My Mama Yeah. That's prolly what it is. We live in a world where they try to tell us that "Rich people don't sleep" or, folks are constantly pushing this "No days off" narrative. But, if we are constantly working ourselves to death, where do we find the time to be still so that we can hear what the next move is supposed to be? Photo: The homie Sarita This time last year, I made a promise to myself that I was going to go hard for my bra