Skip to main content

YOU'RE NOT BROKE, YOU JUST GOT PRIORITIES.

"I wanna leave the country" "Dang, they always gone, what kind of money they making?" "When is my bank account gone see the commas and zeros?"

Here we are again, comparing ourselves to our peers while watching them live their lives on social media. Guys, how many times do I have to remind you? That's not healthy. I once heard someone say, "Comparison is the thief of joy". I completely agree. If I'm always looking at how perfect your body is, I'll only see the flaws in mine. If I keep thinking about how well your jobs pays you, I'll never understand how blessed I am to even have mine. If I keep looking at how sexy your man is, I'll never appreciate how adorable my stuffed animal is. You feel me?

Let me share something with ya'll. I am a penny pincher. Always have been. Now, that's not to be mistaken for cheap. Let me break it down for you: I use my money wisely. I am very aware of my financial status, which by the way, is not balling out of control. I understand that I can't book trips to Dubai all willy nilly like I don't have a car note and two part time jobs. I can also comprehend the fact that I can't drop 300 on one Beyonce concert ticket when I know I need some new tires on my car. Hell, Beyonce done worked hard and made her money. She can't have mine. When I leave her show, I'm still going to be hungry. I'll see home girl on ya'll Instagram videos.

The thing is, I know when I do something, I'm really 'extra' about it. If I go to a concert, I have to buy a new outfit. If I go out of town, I need a really nice hotel and maybe a sew-in weave. It depends on my mood.

Look, I'm not trying to tell you that you shouldn't reward yourself for all of your hard work every once in a while. I'm saying, you should have your priorities in order. As my daddy would say "Don't be trying to keep up with the Jones'!" Yes, he's traveling all the time, but you don't know how hard he worked to get there. Don't overdraft your account trying to keep up with him.

Don't let anyone tell you that you're boring or lame because you choose to take a hundred dollars to your savings account instead of blowing it at the jewelry store. There's nothing wrong with investing in yourself. Even if that means missing out on some of those activities. I know, it's hard watching the turn up from a distance, but keep working, you'll get there. Or, you'll rob your nephew's piggy bank because you can't take it anymore. Whatever.

Listen, the moral of the story is, how you got weed money and no grocery money? Get them priorities straight, fam.

*sips tea*

-BRIT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Good Girl

"Wait, am I going to get in trouble if I do that?" I`ve always been that "by the book" type of person. If I didn`t get permission to do it, it`s not happening. Yep, you guessed it, my friends hated me in high school.  I was the one with the curfew at midnight. No, I couldn`t sneak inside of the house because my mother and father were always sitting on the couch in the front room waiting for me to get in. And if I wasn`t home by midnight, I had a five minute grace period before they were blowing up my little flip phone. "Where are you? Do you know what time it is?" "Yes mom, I`m down the street." We were really just getting off of the highway but it was no red lights and my friend had a heavy foot.  *Shout Out to Laster and Sophia Douglas.* I was always the "good girl" and that was NOT a compliment. Being the good girl meant that you were stuck up, weird, boring, funny acting, etc. I`m actually all of those things when I`m hun...

NEW YEAR, FRESH START

"New year, New me." -All of ya'll, every year Well, since we're still in December and on the subject of gifts, let's talk about the gift of a FRESH START . Nah, I'm not talking about you calling your ex back and acting like you weren't trash for the bulk of the year. You need to get left in 2018. I'm talking about truly stepping back, reflecting and taking action in new ways. Now, I know a lot of people roll their eyes when folks start talking about the things that they want to do differently in the new year, how they about to be skinny and how they not bringing all that negative energy into this new chapter. And yea, they might be a little extra with it, but that's the beauty of a reset. Photo: Britney Annice I used to think that New Year's resolutions meant that I had done something wrong and needed to change it. Like this was my time to reflect on my mistakes, my weight, my eating habits, my career and change everything about ...

I'M HELLA BORED: CHANGE OF HABITS

"Ugh, I'm bored." Hey ya'll! Welcome to 2019! I'm so glad that you decided to bring me with you instead of leaving me in the old year with all the people you hate. I know it's the top of the year and most of us are already a few days into our new diet plans. We cold. We mean. And we hungry. But, if you want to see change, you have to make a change, right? Photo: My Mama Change is the one thing that is consistent in our lives. Nothing ever stays the same. For the month of January, I'll be talking to you all about CHANGE . Which can mean a lot of different things for a lot of people. For me, this first week of 2019, it meant boredom . Before Christmas, I promised myself that after I finished my last blog post, I was taking some time to myself. Now, if ya'll follow me on social media, you know I go hard with the self promotion. I'm in ya'll face every. damn. day. And it ain't nothing you can do to stop me because I feel like I ha...