Skip to main content

SIMON SAYS: CHILL OUT


"I'm just not feeling it right now."


Lately, I've had a lack of creativity. I usually feel like I'm bursting with so many ideas that I can't write them down fast enough. I don't know if it's writer's block, I'm uninspired or maybe I'm just so relaxed from the hot girl summer, that I'm not motivated to do anything but take pictures with a lil bit of cleavage showing so that somebody's son can slide into my DM's for cuffing season.

Photo: My Mama

Yeah. That's prolly what it is.

We live in a world where they try to tell us that "Rich people don't sleep" or, folks are constantly pushing this "No days off" narrative. But, if we are constantly working ourselves to death, where do we find the time to be still so that we can hear what the next move is supposed to be?

Photo: The homie Sarita

This time last year, I made a promise to myself that I was going to go hard for my brand non stop. I'd taken the time to do some self evaluation and reflecting on things I could improve before I jumped in. I remember feeling excited about what I was going to write or create every week. It was a new challenge. I didn't really focus too much on the outcome as I did the process of the plan. Finishing something that I started and doing the work that I love was at the top of my list. 

Fast forward through 8 months straight of going hard and doing the work I loved, started to feel like a chore. Some weeks I was seeing results that I wanted, but didn't expect and those weeks that I didn't see those results, my work felt worthless. 

Someone (I don't know, maybe somebody at church) once said: "Do it because you love it, the rest will come."


Those weeks when I didn't have anything to give, I felt like I was slacking. I had gotten so caught up in the "grind mode" that I forgot to give myself space to be inspired. You know when you're at work and you finally get to go on break and do whatever you want for an hour? Then, you come back feeling like you can make it through the day...it's okay to take those breaks in your personal life too. 

Look fam, I don't care if you're an artist, a banker or a drug dealer. The moral of the story is, it's okay to get somewhere and sit down. Some days, your audience ghosts you. Some days, your customers are trash. And some days, the block might not be hot. I get it, it's hard because the internet be rushing us, but you don't always have to stay busy. Hell, we asked Drake for new music and even he told us "We got albums at the house" and put a bunch of his old songs into a Care package. Everybody needs a break. 

Photo: The homie Brittany

Be nice to yourself.

See ya'll soon.

-BRIT

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PUT YOUR PHONE DOWN

"I need a break." I have to say, I have been finding the internet to be exceptionally entertaining and funny lately. I'm always cracking up at someone's Instagram post, a meme on Facebook, or some random footage from Twitter. But then, there's the negativity, which is extremely draining. Y'all, I don't care how bad things get in my life, please, please, please, don't let me get on the internet arguing with people that don't have a profile picture and misspelling stuff trying to send a subliminal message to my man. Just... take my phone... okay? Photo: Stephen Nitz When I broke up with my last boyfriend, which was in the year 1802, I purposely took a short break from social media. I was upset and when I'm upset, like most folk, I have a tendency to make that apparent. I'd found myself clapping back at someone on social media once before and I was like "Britney girl, what you doin'? Ain't that why you got a blog?&quo

SOMETIMES, I CAN'T DEAL

"You okay? you wanna talk about it?" Actually, no. I'm not okay. Sure, we can talk about it, if you got some liquor. You better be treating too, since you wanna be nosy. Don't be cheap now. I'm probably sad cause I ain't got no money. You know the check be gone before the direct deposit even hit your bank account. I could probably use a hug too. I'm no doctor, but I'd say it's pretty unhealthy for one to keep their anger and emotions balled up inside of you. If nothing else, you have to at least admit to yourself that you're pissed, sad or scared, that's the first step. Now, when I encourage you to let your emotions out every once in a while, I don't mean getting on Facebook everyday and cussing out all your "haters" or cousins or posting all those god awful depressing memes that make me wonder how that dude I met at the club 6 years ago is doing. I'm saying, you should probably find that one person you can vent to, writ

NEW YEAR, FRESH START

"New year, New me." -All of ya'll, every year Well, since we're still in December and on the subject of gifts, let's talk about the gift of a FRESH START . Nah, I'm not talking about you calling your ex back and acting like you weren't trash for the bulk of the year. You need to get left in 2018. I'm talking about truly stepping back, reflecting and taking action in new ways. Now, I know a lot of people roll their eyes when folks start talking about the things that they want to do differently in the new year, how they about to be skinny and how they not bringing all that negative energy into this new chapter. And yea, they might be a little extra with it, but that's the beauty of a reset. Photo: Britney Annice I used to think that New Year's resolutions meant that I had done something wrong and needed to change it. Like this was my time to reflect on my mistakes, my weight, my eating habits, my career and change everything about