Skip to main content

PUT YOUR PHONE DOWN


"I need a break."

I have to say, I have been finding the internet to be exceptionally entertaining and funny lately. I'm always cracking up at someone's Instagram post, a meme on Facebook, or some random footage from Twitter. But then, there's the negativity, which is extremely draining.

Y'all, I don't care how bad things get in my life, please, please, please, don't let me get on the internet arguing with people that don't have a profile picture and misspelling stuff trying to send a subliminal message to my man. Just... take my phone... okay?

Photo: Stephen Nitz

When I broke up with my last boyfriend, which was in the year 1802, I purposely took a short break from social media. I was upset and when I'm upset, like most folk, I have a tendency to make that apparent. I'd found myself clapping back at someone on social media once before and I was like "Britney girl, what you doin'? Ain't that why you got a blog?"

Ya know, sometimes, your private life turns into some beautiful art, or hell at least a funny story to tell.

When I first started my blog, sure, I had my career in mind, but it was more of a release for myself. I'm often working out my problems and giving myself advice for the first time as I write these posts. Overtime, I noticed that my blog started to become more of a chore instead of a safe place for me to express myself. I looked at it as one of my tickets to success and if I didn't do it, I was cheating myself or I wasn't doing enough to work towards my dreams.

After a while, this is how I started to treat social media. As an artist in 2018, you're constantly watching people's career come off of the ground just from having a heavy social media presence. So, you kind of feel unaccomplished if you're not posting. I mean, I'm already not having any luck with auditions, so my only way up is myself, right?

Look, the moral of the story is, it's okay to put your phone down. Lately, I've been making a conscious effort to separate myself from my phone. I mean, I've been distracted by my phone at least 201 times while writing this post, which is a shame. But here's how I see it: 1. That text/ call can wait, they make you wait when they are busy. 2. Try leaving your phone in another room for a few hours, that's been helping me lately.

I get it. It's easy to get caught up. But, cut yourself some slack. If the internet is on your nerves, only get on there when you have to post your art and then leave. Keep your craft fun! When it starts to feel like a chore, step away and come back with fresh ideas. When you're out with friends, put it in your pocket. Really engage with the present. Even if you're watching your favorite show. Even if you're staring into space and just thinking. Every idle moment does not have to be filled with scrolling.

I mean, unless you scrolling Aintbritfunny.com. I'll allow it.

-BRIT

Comments

  1. AWLADIS!!! This is the reason I got off Facebook. I was waking up for work 90 mins before I was scheduled and spent 45-55 minutes SCROLLING through! And now, the same is happening on IG. 35 minutes ago, I literally was watching a funny docu- series and stopped to look something up for my husband and here I am 30mins later with the series still paused because I was scrolling IG! #notalone #putyourphonedown #receivedthis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed this! It's an everyday struggle and so easy to lose focus of what's important.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SOMETIMES, I CAN'T DEAL

"You okay? you wanna talk about it?" Actually, no. I'm not okay. Sure, we can talk about it, if you got some liquor. You better be treating too, since you wanna be nosy. Don't be cheap now. I'm probably sad cause I ain't got no money. You know the check be gone before the direct deposit even hit your bank account. I could probably use a hug too. I'm no doctor, but I'd say it's pretty unhealthy for one to keep their anger and emotions balled up inside of you. If nothing else, you have to at least admit to yourself that you're pissed, sad or scared, that's the first step. Now, when I encourage you to let your emotions out every once in a while, I don't mean getting on Facebook everyday and cussing out all your "haters" or cousins or posting all those god awful depressing memes that make me wonder how that dude I met at the club 6 years ago is doing. I'm saying, you should probably find that one person you can vent to, writ

NEW YEAR, FRESH START

"New year, New me." -All of ya'll, every year Well, since we're still in December and on the subject of gifts, let's talk about the gift of a FRESH START . Nah, I'm not talking about you calling your ex back and acting like you weren't trash for the bulk of the year. You need to get left in 2018. I'm talking about truly stepping back, reflecting and taking action in new ways. Now, I know a lot of people roll their eyes when folks start talking about the things that they want to do differently in the new year, how they about to be skinny and how they not bringing all that negative energy into this new chapter. And yea, they might be a little extra with it, but that's the beauty of a reset. Photo: Britney Annice I used to think that New Year's resolutions meant that I had done something wrong and needed to change it. Like this was my time to reflect on my mistakes, my weight, my eating habits, my career and change everything about