Skip to main content

THERE'S POWER IN YOUR "NAH"


"Dang Brit. You be hiring & firing em'!"
"You are very good at goodbyes."

The other day, I did something I thought I would never do. I picked up my phone, opened my list of blocked callers and wondered if there was anybody I needed to let out on bail. Like, what if I was wrong about somebody? What if I made a mistake? What if God hid my husband in my blocked list?

Sike. I don't take trash out of the basket. And I don't believe that God would do a sista like that.

Here's my truth: As a child, I was very mild mannered and shy. I didn't say much. Didn't bother nobody. And didn't want to be bothered. At home, I was a completely different person. I was silly, outgoing, sassy, sweet and I was bothering everybody in my house. At school, I was bullied. At home, I tried to fight my brothers just for not letting me play Sega with them.

I would always come home and complain about what someone said or did to me at school, until my family started challenging me to "keep that same energy" that I had at home when someone was trying me at school.

A Quick Story: There was a girl that I can remember always calling me fat and saying other cruel things whenever she could. She had buck teeth. One day, I reached my breaking point and got angry enough to use that to my advantage. I chased her around the playground saying "Bunny Rabbit! Bunny Rabbit!" while creating rabbit ears with my fingers until she cried and told on me.

IT WAS ON THIS DAY, THAT A SAVAGE WAS CREATED.



Photo: Stephen Nitz


Since then, I've learned the power of giving folks a taste of their own medicine, learning to speak up for myself and understanding that "nah" is an answer. "Nah, I'm not gone let you talk about me." "Nah, you not gone be my friend when it's convenient." "Nah, you not gone text me 'wyd' all day." Sometimes, in order to keep your life peaceful, it is necessary that you let some folks go. And I don't know about ya'll, but I like my peace. And I feel, if someone isn't contributing to that, why keep them around?

Listen, the moral of the story is, you don't owe nobody nothing. Most of the time when you've let someone go, you've simply reached your breaking point. Remember, you can love someone from a far. Who knows, there may come a time when you can reconcile with them. But some folks are just foul and need to stay on the blocked list. You can let them let them lurk your snap chats though. That's fine.

-BRIT





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PUT YOUR PHONE DOWN

"I need a break." I have to say, I have been finding the internet to be exceptionally entertaining and funny lately. I'm always cracking up at someone's Instagram post, a meme on Facebook, or some random footage from Twitter. But then, there's the negativity, which is extremely draining. Y'all, I don't care how bad things get in my life, please, please, please, don't let me get on the internet arguing with people that don't have a profile picture and misspelling stuff trying to send a subliminal message to my man. Just... take my phone... okay? Photo: Stephen Nitz When I broke up with my last boyfriend, which was in the year 1802, I purposely took a short break from social media. I was upset and when I'm upset, like most folk, I have a tendency to make that apparent. I'd found myself clapping back at someone on social media once before and I was like "Britney girl, what you doin'? Ain't that why you got a blog?&quo

SOMETIMES, I CAN'T DEAL

"You okay? you wanna talk about it?" Actually, no. I'm not okay. Sure, we can talk about it, if you got some liquor. You better be treating too, since you wanna be nosy. Don't be cheap now. I'm probably sad cause I ain't got no money. You know the check be gone before the direct deposit even hit your bank account. I could probably use a hug too. I'm no doctor, but I'd say it's pretty unhealthy for one to keep their anger and emotions balled up inside of you. If nothing else, you have to at least admit to yourself that you're pissed, sad or scared, that's the first step. Now, when I encourage you to let your emotions out every once in a while, I don't mean getting on Facebook everyday and cussing out all your "haters" or cousins or posting all those god awful depressing memes that make me wonder how that dude I met at the club 6 years ago is doing. I'm saying, you should probably find that one person you can vent to, writ

NEW YEAR, FRESH START

"New year, New me." -All of ya'll, every year Well, since we're still in December and on the subject of gifts, let's talk about the gift of a FRESH START . Nah, I'm not talking about you calling your ex back and acting like you weren't trash for the bulk of the year. You need to get left in 2018. I'm talking about truly stepping back, reflecting and taking action in new ways. Now, I know a lot of people roll their eyes when folks start talking about the things that they want to do differently in the new year, how they about to be skinny and how they not bringing all that negative energy into this new chapter. And yea, they might be a little extra with it, but that's the beauty of a reset. Photo: Britney Annice I used to think that New Year's resolutions meant that I had done something wrong and needed to change it. Like this was my time to reflect on my mistakes, my weight, my eating habits, my career and change everything about